Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Moving right along

I am currently writing this from a bed in a Quality Inn in Richmond, Indiana, en route to my new home.  We are traveling in two cars with a great deal of our belongings, two dogs, and of course one child.  The Kid is crying because the hotel television won't hook up to his Wii, but I think he's *really* crying because we left the house at 4am to get a jump on the trip and he's severely short on sleep. 

I'm short on sleep too, but not quite as much so as The Hubby, who wins (loses?) this game, clocking in at 3 1/2 hours last night.  We are all tired, some of us are hungry, and I'm blogging.

I was going to post some pictures of the trip thus far, but since The Hubby packed the camera God-knows-where and I don't feel like trekking down to the car(s) to rummage through our belongings, this post will contain pictures, not from this trip, but from our last.

The craziest thing about this move is that it all happened in such a short amount of time.  Somebody once told me that moving would take up a good 6 months of my life, but this whole idea of moving to Philadelphia was only really even conceived as a possibility about six weeks ago.  Everything has moved so quickly that I haven't really had time to process the enormity of it all. 

The weekend of June 16th, about a week after The Hubby accepted his new job, we flew out to Philly to find a home.  We ate Philly cheesesteaks and water ice.  We had dinner in Chinatown.  We played mini golf and rode the carousel in Franklin Square.



 


Call me a nerd, but one of my favorite things about our new hometown is that when you're walking around downtown, you come across this kind of thing:

I just love this stuff.


It was a whirlwind trip, to be sure, and we left with a (really wonderful) place to live and a love for the city. 

When we got back home, we quickly loaded up all of our belongings and began to mosey our way across the nation towards our new home, visiting family and bidding farewell (and recording silly songs) along the way. 

It's been fun, but sad.  Like I said, nothing has really sunk in yet, but sometimes it'll just hit me and I'll start to cry.  It's hard to move away from the only home The Kid has ever known.  I'm sad for him, more than anything.  I'll miss my family too, of course, but at least I can keep up with everyone via Facebook and phone calls--he's not really able to do all that at his age.  I think we'll probably try to get everyone to use Skype and see how that works out.

Now, The Kid has stopped crying and is snoring away--and so is The Hubby.  I think I'll try and get in a nap as well before I miss my window of opportunity.  I have a lot more to share, but that's a blog for another day. 

Thanks for hanging in there with me and my sporadic blogging.  :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...