Friday, April 20, 2012

You're just somebody that I used to know.



Everyone loves this song right now.  It's good.  The video is pretty weird, but interesting.  The song feels dated to me, like it's from the 80s, but I guess that's a trend that's been going on for a while.

It's a good song.  The lyrics make me think; "now you're just somebody that I used to know" is such a universal statement.  The band is talking about a romantic relationship, but it can apply to friendships as well.  How often do you find yourself spending less and less time with a friend, until eventually you remove their number from your phone without much thought?

It feels like it's happening more and more often to me lately.  The internet has not only shortened the news cycle and attention spans, but also the lives of friendships.  Online relationships are especially fragile.  The friends I had two or three years ago have mostly moved on.  Even the people I was interacting with on a daily basis four or five months ago aren't really the same people I interact with now.  Lots of real-life friendships are cyclical too, only the drifting apart seems to happen more gradually.

And that's okay, I guess, but it still makes me sad.  I suppose you never really know who'll stick around and who'll end up as just somebody that you used to know.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...