Thursday, April 5, 2012

Magical Music

I'm supposed to be writing. 

I mean, I AM writing, obviously...I'm just supposed to be writing something else.  Anyway, I turned on Spotify with the best intentions, but then I got lost in the music. 

Is it just me, or does listening to music through headphones completely change the experience?  I've got on Elton John's "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters", and I can't concentrate on anything else.  I get lost in his voice, in his piano-playing.  It's amazing to me, to think that he recorded that song over thirty years ago--forty years, this year--and yet, when you listen to it, you can hear him on that day, frozen in time forever.

I think that's what's amazing about music and film; they capture a moment in time that will come and go, just like every other moment, but you'll be able to go back whenever you want, any time, for the rest of your life.  Isn't that wonderful?

Listening to music from that time period, especially, gets me *right there*.  Auto-tune wasn't invented yet, and some of them have no added effects whatsoever.  This is just Elton and a piano.  Pure.  Beautiful.  It's almost a lost art (Isn't that sad?), but it's the one way that music can really reach into my heart and grab me.

I don't know where I'm going with all this, other than to say that I freakin' love music.  Do yourself a favor:  put on a pair of good headphones and listen to this song:


Did you hear the magic?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...