Sunday, March 18, 2012

Flight Plan

I hate flying.

I'm going out of town alone on Wednesday morning to somewhere that's supposed to have a warm climate, but it's going to be colder there than it has been here.  Considering that I don't want to check a bag ($25 each way for the first bag?  REALLY, Delta??), this has made packing something of a challenge.


In case you haven't flown in a while, here's what I'm working with:


1 carry-on, no bigger than 22" x 14" x 9".
1 personal item, which can be either a purse OR a laptop bag
1 quart-size zip-top plastic bag filled with all my fluids, each no larger than 3.4 oz.


I'm going for four nights and it's possible I'll need some dressier, going-out type clothes while I'm there.  I'm a very girly-girl, and I usually over-pack, but I think I've come up with a brilliant system:


1.  All of my clothes will color-coordinate with each other.  Basically everything I'm bringing is yellow and blue.  This way, I can wear a pair of flats and bring a pair of heels, and everything will go together.  I'll probably be layering a lot since it'll be a little chilly, so coordinating everything in my suitcase will maximize my wardrobe.


This trip will be sponsored by the colors blue and gold.
2.  I got a new purse/wallet, and I'm starting from scratch.  My purse is giant and it's like a black hole right now, so buying a new purse is way easier than cleaning out the other one.  I'll only be bringing essentials.  Cut.  Throat.


3.  I'll be packing my purse inside of my laptop bag.  Since I won't need to tote around any crayons, Transformers, or wet wipes on this trip, my new, smaller purse will collapse flat enough to be zipped up in my laptop bag with my computer.  This helps me evade the ONE PERSONAL ITEM rule, since technically I'll have my purse packed.


4.  Sample sizes from Sephora and Clinique are my new best friends.  All those tiny mascaras and moisturizers that I got as "gift with purchase" will fit much better in the zip-top bag than the regular-sizes would, even if those are still under the size limit.  Also, I save the conditioners that come in the box when I color my hair and use those when I travel.  They're the perfect size!

Look at that cute little Benetint!  I love him.

5.  I'll wear my raincoat on the plane, rather than packing it.  Obviously.


Considering that I'll only have roughly 45 minutes between flights on my layovers there and back, I'm hoping that these bags aren't too unwieldy.  I'm wearing slip-on flats on the way there so that I can run if needed and to make security go quicker.  I'm big fan on slip-ons for flying.  Also, if I need a belt, I ALWAYS put it in an outside pocket of my carry-on until after I've made it through security.  Same goes for jewelry.  Makes things way easier, trust me.



So, that's my plan.  It's Sunday night and I don't leave until Wednesday morning, so I have a little bit more time to tweak it, but I'm pretty confident with my choices right now.  Feeling good. 

Am I missing anything?  Does anyone else have any other tips for me?  Share your suggestions and make my trip easier, I'm begging you!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...