Saturday, January 21, 2012

It's not for women...or men who enjoy having sex with them.

I realize that I may be a little late to the game on this one since the controversy began in October, but WTF is this??


For those of you who can't (or don't want to) watch the video, that's a commercial for Dr Pepper TEN. It shows a couple of very "manly" men with guns, tearing through the jungle & drinking the product in a Jeep during what looks like a terrible low-budget action film. The tag line at the end is the kicker: 

"Dr Pepper TEN: IT'S NOT FOR WOMEN."

So, someone thought this was a good idea.  In fact, I'd dare to venture that several people thought it was a good idea, considering how many people this slogan probably had to go through to make it onto billboards and television.  I have a hard time believing that nobody stood up and asserted what a terrible idea it was, because it's glaringly obvious to me and the rest of the internet.

Clearly, a lot of people were high when they created this campaign.  Or there were no women involved in the process whatsoever.  Aside from the ad being blatantly sexist (Women like romantic comedies!  Men like action movies!), I see a few problems with the idea behind it.  Namely:


1.  Men who would fall for an ad like this generally aren't the same ones who would care about how many calories they're ingesting.

2.  Men who care about counting calories often have a wife or girlfriend who does the grocery shopping.  (Up to 85% of grocery shopping is done by women--you would think that these sexist dudes would have thought of that)

3.  They've alienated at least 2/3 (I'm being generous) of the market:  the ones without penises and the ones who would like to use their penises again with someone of the fairer sex.  I see a guy drinking this stuff, I think he's a jerk.  He may not be a jerk, but it's hard to get that association out of my head now that it's been made.


Anyway, I can't believe this ad made it to air.  

The worst part is that I probably would have tried the stuff if it was a better marketing campaign.  Dr. Pepper is pretty delicious, but Diet Dr. Pepper never did it for me and I'm not a fan of all that sugar.  The old "Diet Dr. Pepper tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper" campaign seemed to work well...maybe they should have just made this one say "Dr. Pepper TEN tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper than Diet Dr. Pepper!".  Simple, you know?  I mean, is this stuff even tasty?  I guess I'll never know, because I'm sure as hell not buying it.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...