Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Hell Hath No Fury

...like a woman scorned.

At least, that's the saying.  I don't find that to be the case with myself.

I mean, yeah, if someone scorns me I get sad and hurt, but I don't really get furious.  Not really.  I certainly don't get vengeful, and that's what fury ultimately leads to, right?

Maybe I'm just a sad, wimp of a girl, but whenever someone wrongs me, all I want to do is curl up in a ball and cry.  I don't want to go and hunt them down or hurt them.  What good would that do anyway?  In the end, I'd just feel worse because of it.  I'm a pretty nice person, and that doesn't change just because someone's hurt my feelings.

I've had those feelings hurt quite a bit lately, and without going into specifics, I can say that it's been done by people who I once thought cared about me.  That's the worst--when you realize that people meant so much more to you than you did to them.  How does that happen?  I guess it's a combination of my own naïvité and being too generous in my friendships.  Or maybe I'm just a really terrible judge of character.

Anyway, I'm tired of being taken advantage of.  One of my new year's resolutions was to stop letting people walk all over me, and I'm afraid that I've not gotten off to the best start here.  I'll do better.

As far as revenge goes, I'm not going to bother with it--at least not in the traditional sense.  George Herbert said that "living well is the best revenge".  That sounds pretty spectacular.  I'm going to do that.

Bring on my best year yet.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...