Monday, December 5, 2011

Listen Up, Home Movie Industry!


What is up with Blu-ray and DVD distributors putting cardboard sleeves over the boxes?  They are utterly and completely pointless.  Observe:

Sleeve on the right, plastic case on the left.
Also, what are these crappy special features??  Where is the commentary, WB?

The cardboard case is nearly identical to the plastic case.  The only added information on the sleeve is where it says "Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy", and the stuff about "Instant Streaming"...but those things are also printed on the stickers stuck to the front.  So, why couldn't they have just put the sticker directly on the plastic case? 


This sort of waste drives me nuts.  As soon as I get home, I throw these types of sleeves in the recycle bin because they put a few extra seconds between me and my movie experience.  They are absolutely useless. 


I wonder how much money distributors could save if they stopped packaging discs this way.  They should really look into it, because not only would it raise their profit margin and be way less annoying to the consumer, but they could add another sticker that says, "Now greener, with 30% less packaging!", so they'd look like heroes.  It's a win-win situation.


Does this happen everywhere, or is it a wastefulness exclusive to the US?  I hate it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...