Thursday, December 1, 2011

Catching up

 Today was so great.

One thing you should know about me is that I don't get out a lot.  I mean, I leave the house sometimes, I just don't very often do it without a child in tow.  Because of that, I rarely get to hang out one-on-one with friends.  It's sad.


I already had plans to meet up with a friend for dinner, so imagine my surprise when another friend sent me a Facebook message and asked if she could take me out to Thai food for lunch.  Who am I to turn down that kind of an offer?  It's like I was suddenly popular!  Imagine that.

Even though I had to bring The Kid along with me, lunch was lovely.  This friend (not sure if she wants me to say her name, so I won't) is one of the most gorgeous people I've ever known, inside and out.  We met in high school and have kept in touch off and on over the years, but she doesn't live near me, so it's always a treat to get to spend time with her.  She's one of those people who everyone wants to be around--she just radiates this beautiful energy.  She's like an "it" girl.  I always feel lucky when she wants to see me--like I won a prize or something.  Also, she paid for lunch, so she's ultra-generous.  Great food, great conversation, great friend.

My dinner plans were set with Beth a couple of weeks ago.  You can see what life as a stay-at-home mom is like, that we needed to plan it two weeks in advance.  I've known Beth for about six years now, ever since we both worked as newborn photographers at a local hospital.  We have a lot in common, and we got along great right from the beginning.  Unfortunately, stuff happens, people move, and we lost touch.  Tonight was the first time we'd gotten together in probably two or three years. 

Hanging out with Beth was so great.  I needed that.  She and I have one of those friendships where, it doesn't matter how long it's been, we can just pick up right where we left off.  I love those kinds of friendships.  She and I are at similar places in our lives, and it's nice to have someone to talk to about important things who won't be bored or judge me.  Beth is the perfect person for this.  Just being around her was like a breath of fresh air--I immediately felt less stressed out than I did earlier.

Getting to catch up with these two great friends today was a nice refresher.  I don't have a ton of adult female friends, so the time I spend with the ones I have is precious.  I guess I'm kind of a loner, but even a loner needs someone to spill her guts to every once in a while.  I forget that sometimes.  Thanks, girls.  Let's do it again soon.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...