Monday, December 12, 2011

Carpe Diem!

Life is short
Life is short
Life is short
I like you.
Life is short
Life is short
I really do.
Life is short
Life is short
Life is short  

By Kid in the Front Row


That about sums it up, doesn't it?  Life is short, so seize the day!

This is my life philosophy, and it has been for the last fifteen years or so.  Failure isn't the worst thing that can happen to you, but if you don't go for what you really want, you'll never know if you've missed out on something great or life-changing. 

I was on a Carpe Diem kick whenever I met The Hubby (click here for the full story).  We met, we stayed up talking for hours, and then we were both gone.  He went to California, I stayed in Missouri, or Misery, as it had become.  I was high on adrenaline and young love.

Three days later, I decided to throw caution to the wind (carpe diem!!) and write him a love letter.  What did I have to lose?  No rejection could be worse than the torture of not knowing.  Anyway, if he didn't feel the same way, it's not like I would run into him.  If he did feel the same way, then it could be the beginning of something beautiful.  It was.

Basically, every life decision can be easily made if you follow that simple philosophy:  seize the day. 
Too scared?  Fear is your body's way of telling you that you're making the right decision.  Look at it this way:  if there were zero possibility of failure, would you do it anyway?  If the answer is yes, then do it. 


Follow that dream.
Tell someone how you feel.
Quit that miserable job.
Buy that ticket to Europe.
Make something extraordinary happen.


I'm not saying that everything will always go your way.  You may fail--sometimes embarrassingly so--but at least you'll have tried.  Sometimes rejection will turn out to be the best thing that could happen to you; there is no stronger motivator than proving someone wrong.


What have you got to lose, really?  Go out and seize the day.


Carpe Diem!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...