Thursday, November 24, 2011

Who needs turkey?

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  And for those of you who don't live in the United States, I hope you had a wonderful Thursday! 


My Thanksgiving was fun, if non-traditional.  There was nary a turkey in sight today, as my grandmother's 90th birthday just happened to fall on Thanksgiving this year.  Since you never know at that age if they'll be celebrating another birthday, my mom organized a lunch of Chinese food in Grammy's honor at the nursing home where she lives.  Most of her descendants were there, which was a pretty big deal since we almost never get together.


I had the rare opportunity to be in the same room as my mom and both of my (original) sisters*, so we took a few pictures.  I think the last time this happened was...well, I don't remember the last time this happened.  I have a picture of us three girls together from about a year ago, but the last picture with us and our mom together is probably about 11 years old, I think?  It's been a  long time.  When you throw Grammy into the mix, that pushes the date back to the early 1990s, so of course we took full advantage of the photo-op.


Here's a sampling of shots from the day:


Waiting for my niece to figure out the camera on my phone.  I swear, it's not that hard.


Grammy asked me who I was right before this was taken.

The original three!  I'm the middle, and usually the tallest...they had on tall shoes today.

This one's for Dani.

After lunch, we came back to my mom's house and played cards while we drank hot tea and homemade wine.  For dinner, we had...spaghetti. 


So, some lucky turkey got off easy this year, and I'm kind of glad he did.  My mom still made pumpkin pie.  Factor in the pie with the family, and we had all of the most important components required for a perfect holiday.  Who needs anything else?




*I say "original" sisters, because we all came from the same two parents.  My parents got divorced when I was about 10 years old, and they both re-married, resulting in a step-sister, a step-brother, an adopted 1/2 sister, and two adopted 1/2 brothers.  It's kind of confusing.



*******************************

Psst!  Don't forget to enter my giveaway by telling me about how you're giving back this holiday season!  You can enter as many times as you want before December 21st, so don't be shy--tell me all about it!  :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...