Monday, November 28, 2011

The Magical Muppets

I am happy to report that nobody got sick and ruined my plans for a three-day movie bender!  Hooray!

I am very sad to report that The Descendants was not as spectacular as I'd expected.

I don't get it.  All of the reviews were stellar.  It's ALEXANDER FREAKIN' PAYNE.  And George Clooney.  It was set in Hawaii.  Why did I not love this movie???  I still loved Payne's direction, and the acting was great (especially that of Shailene Woodley, who played Clooney's oldest daughter), but I didn't get attached to any of the characters.  I should have cried.  I didn't.  It was a good movie, but compared to my expecations, The Descendants was a big letdown.  Lesson learned:  keep my expectations low. 

The Muppets, however, was MAGICAL.  Seriously, people, if you haven't gone and seen this movie, you are missing out. 

Granted, I grew up in the Muppets era, so I may be a little biased, but this film was wonderful.  Nicholas Stoller and Jason Segel did a brilliant job of writing a Muppets movie that's fresh, yet stays true to the franchise. 

I could go into a long synopsis of the movie, but here are the most important things to know:

1.  It's a musical.  The songs are funny, touching, and highly-entertaining all at the same time.

2.  There is a new Muppet named Walter who is the brother of Gary, played by Jason Segel.

3.  All the original Muppets are there, including the chickens and Beaker and that giant scary brown one with yellow eyes and two pointy teeth who nobody can name but everybody will recognize.

4.  They sing the theme song to The Muppet Show AND "The Rainbow Connection", both of which made me tear up.


So, yeah, The Muppets won out as the best movie I saw in the last three days, and that's saying something.  I kind of want to go see it again already, and I'll definitely be buying the blu-ray.  Jason Segel is my new hero for getting this movie together. 

I still hope to go see Like Crazy sometime soon, but I'm not sure when it will be since my week looks kind of busy.  Oh well.  Lucky for you blog followers, this will be the last review for a while; I know I was boring you all to death with the movie talk.  I promise to be funny, or at least entertaining, again soon!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...