Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Great Tea Debacle

This is probably going to sound dumb to a lot of you, but it's something that really bothers me, so I'm going to go ahead and blog about it.  Bear with me.


So, the night when I went to see We Bought A Zoo was very cold, so I decided to buy a cup of hot tea at the concession stand in the theater.  This particular theater has a Starbucks in it, and the menu board reads:  Hot Tea....$2.50.  Just the one price, and the price is listed in the column farthest to the right, where all the largest sized drink prices are listed.  Like this:




My conversation with the coffee people went something like this:



Me:  I'd like a hot tea, but can I get that in the biggest cup you have, please?


Cashier:  Sure.  That'll be $5.24.


Me The price board says it's $2.50.


Cashier:  That's for the small.


Me:  But there's only one price.


Cashier:  Uhhhh....


Manager:  That price is for the small.  


Me:  Really?  So it costs twice as much for extra water and a bigger cup?  Because I'm only using one tea bag either way.


Manager:  I'll charge your for a medium, but that's the best I can do.
 
Me:  Fine.  Whatever.


Cashier:  That'll be $4.18.



This infuriates me.  Seriously:  it's JUST MORE WATER.


Now, I understand that a lot of concession businesses operate this way; they have to count the cups at the beginning and end of a shift, and so they're basically charging for the cup, but if that was the problem, then how come she was able to charge me for a medium and give me a large?  It's like they didn't even understand why I was complaining.


I also know that it sounds pretty stupid for me to be complaining about having to pay extra for a bigger drink, but I'm using the same amount of product (the single tea bag) either way.  That cup must be made out of some very fancy extra-special cardboard for a few extra inches of it to double the cost.


Also, how is a small $2.50 and a medium comes to over $4??  That makes no sense!  The very least these guys could do is to change their menu board, am I right?


This is the kind of thing that makes me want to boycott.  I'm big on boycotts.  In fact, I think I WILL boycott this coffee stand.  Next time, I'm sneaking in a thermos.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...