Thursday, August 25, 2011

No more for me, thanks.

In a month or so, I'll be having surgery.  Tubal Ligation.  For those of you who are confused, I'm having my tubes tied--permanent sterilization.  (Ha!  That paragraph almost rhymed!  Song idea?)

This isn't a decision I've come to lightly.  The Hubby and I have always known that we only wanted one child, and as The Kid gets older we have become even more certain of our choice to not have any more,  hence the surgery.

For some reason, people have very strong feelings about this.  I'm not talking about my family or my husband's family; it's acquaintances and perfect strangers who are the most vocal opponents of our (very personal) decision.  Why, you ask?  Well, usually the conversation goes something like this:



STRANGER:  (admiring my child)  So, now that he's almost in kindergarten, are you going to have another one?


ME:  Oh, we're not having any more kids.  We got one good one.  We're done.


STRANGER:  What?  Why not?  Don't you think he needs a playmate?


ME:  Nope.  We're good.


STRANGER:  (pointing at my child) But you make such cute babies!


Yup.  This is the number one argument I get from people who learn that my womb will remain barren from here out:  I make cute babies.

What the heck, people?  I'm supposed to keep populating the world just because I've got attractive genes?  That's the best you've got?  People can't procreate based solely on the fact that we want to see fresh, cute kids (or they shouldn't, anyway)!

Babies grow up, guys.  And when they grow up, they are very expensive and opinionated.  I'm looking at the bigger picture, here.  Sure, a newborn is cuddly and soft and adorable, but chances are that fifteen years down the road she'll be telling me how much she hates me while simultaneously finishing the last of the Cheerios and milk.  Now, I'm willing to go through that once, but twice is just a little more than I think I can handle.  To those of you who choose to go that route, I applaud you.  You are braver than I.

So no, Stranger, I will not be having any more babies for you to admire.*  Sorry.  If you'd like to see some cute babies, just Google them.  Google is good for that sort of thing.  So is YouTube.  Heck, I'll even throw you a bone that I grew myself:


There ya go.  You have my permission to print it out and post it on your fridge.  Admire away!  Just stop asking me to grow another one.  There's no way it would turn out as cute as this one anyway.


*If, by some miracle, a rogue egg somehow gets through the roadblocks and finds itself fertilized and nestled up in my business, I'll make sure and love and hug that little baby just as I've done with The Kid.  I'll be happy to do it, because someone would have to have some pretty big plans to beat those odds.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...