Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Lessons Learned From Party Hosting.

I seriously hate throwing parties.  I just do.  I don't like feeling like I'm responsible to show people a good time.  It's too much pressure.  Also, I hate cleaning, and any time I'm going to have people over to my house, I have to clean it from top to bottom so that they won't know that I'm actually a sloppy, lazy bum.

That said, The Hubby just loooooves having parties at our house, so for the second year in a row, we hosted a big Fourth of July bash.  I learned a few things in the process.

THINGS I LEARNED BY HOSTING OUR SECOND ANNUAL 4TH OF JULY PARTY

1.  There is no shame in taking anti-anxiety medication in the days leading up to the event.  I did NOT do this, and I ended up grinding my teeth incessantly, which led to a repeat of the Locked Jaw Incident of 2010.


2.  The Hubby is a master at closing jaws.  After much panic (which, let's face it, was inevitable), I calmed down enough to Google "how to close a locked jaw" and we came across this muy helpful video. 


 
It only took The Hubby two tries before my jaw slid painlessly back into place.  Thank God, because I didn't want to spend the 3rd of July in the ER with all those fireworks victims.  Could have been a long wait for a girl with such a minor problem as a mouth that won't shut.

3.  People don't care if you don't decorate...but the pictures will come out nicer if you do. 
Not very festive.  Oh well.

4.  If you have fireworks, people will come.  We live in the only county in the metro area which, for some reason, allows nearly every kind of firework available.  Our county is usually considered undesirable, until 4th of July rolls around and everyone is looking fore a way in so that they can blow stuff up without getting arrested. 
See that giant yellow and black box behind them?  Those are fireworks.  They were awesome.
5.  You should never machine wash a Roman shade on "heavy duty".  Especially not a shade that goes over the toilet in your bathroom, an hour before your guests arrive.  I'm not sure exactly HOW the holes got there, but I do know that they weren't there before I put it in the wash. 
Moths weren't involved, and neither was bleach.  Just a normal washing machine.
6.  Sugar and caffeine will keep your Kid up long enough to see the fireworks.

But they'll give him "crazy eyes".
7.  When taking group photos, make sure everyone is on the same page.

I guess the rest of them didn't get the "this is a silly shot" memo.  Boy, do they look dumb.
8.  Midwestern Humidity should never be underestimated...and hair product should be used liberally.

Clearly, I learned this lesson too late.  My hair grew to about twice this size by the end of the night.
9.  Giving your camera to a child will result in the best photos.  This series was shot by a friend's daughter.  I think she thought it was Halloween...but you can't deny her artistic ability!





The photographer.  Mwahaha!
10.  Throwing a party isn't so bad after all.  Everyone had a great time, and the clean up wasn't even super-hard.  Next year, I'm just going to save myself the anxiety and roll with the punches.  After all, 4th of July only comes once a year.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...