Sunday, July 31, 2011

I'm coming out!

I know this isn't going to be a popular decision with a lot of people, but I've decided to come out and stop blogging anonymously.  Here are my main reasons:


1.  It's too hard to stay anonymous.  Anyone who really wanted to find out my name could do it anyway.


2.  Google+ is forcing me to use my real name.  Since my Blogger account is linked to my Google+ account, and Google+ is deleting/suspending people who aren't using their real names, they've basically scared me into doing this.

3.  I want to get paid to be a writer.  If I'm going to sell a screenplay, it's probably good to be google-able to those people who'd like to see my prior work, including my blog. 

4.  Who am I kidding?  It's not like I'm a celebrity with stalkers trying to find me and hold me hostage.  Unless they're going to demand a ransom of unlimited free hot dogs at The Hubby's work, they're not going to get much anyway.  I'm kind of poor.

5I want to be able to share my music with you kind people.  It's next to impossible to do this without connecting my name to the songs, since I hold at least half a copyright on all of them and I want to keep them protected.  Also, it will be nice to credit my co-writers by name without fear of a quick Google search revealing my own name in connection with theirs.


6.  I shared this blog with my friends and family a long time ago.  My need to have people actually read what I write won out over my desire to talk about personal stuff, so I shared my blog on my Facebook page a while back.  The whole reason I started this blog anonymously anyway was because I thought I may embarrass my friends or family with the things I wrote about, but since I've refrained from doing that for nearly two years now, I think I'm in the clear.



So, yeah.  I've made the decision.  Don't try to change my mind, because by the time you read this, it will be too late anyway.

Here's how it's going to go down:  I will continue to sign my posts as TB, but I will no longer go out of my way to hide my true identity.  I will not, however, be revealing the names of The Hubby or The Kid or any of my other friends who wish to remain anonymous.  I have no interest in The Hubby's job scouring my blog for a reason to fire him or The Kid's name being connected to a blog post about the top 10 most annoying celebrities of 2010. 

So, that's it!  I feel liberated already.  It's a huge weight off my shoulders to make this step and stop worrying that someone will mention my name in the comments or on Twitter and I'll have to do damage control.  I'm feeling good about this decision!

Oh, one more thing.  My name is Teri Brown.  Nice to meet you.  :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...