Monday, June 13, 2011

The internet is a big, fat liar!

I'm getting really annoyed by all the fake stories that have been taking the internet by storm recently.


You know how it works:  one idiot posts a link on his Facebook feed for his hundreds of "friends" to see, a few of them re-post it, then a few of their friends re-post it, and before you know it, the story has gone viral.  The problem is that since most of these stories don't generally come from serious news agencies who are required to check their facts, people are getting duped into believing things that aren't true in any way, shape, or form.

"And it didn't even hurt!"

Take the facebook tattoo story, for instance.  Last week, the internet was all abuzz over this person who supposedly got a tattoo of all her facebook friends on her arm.  People went nuts over it, talking about how cool and stupid it was at the same time.  FAKE.  Turns out, it was an ad.


Just this past weekend, someone posted this photo online, and it took off like wildfire:


Call me cynical, but who would actually believe this one, much less re-post it?
 Of course, it was fake, and McDonald's is (justifiably) livid.


This week, I've seen at least five friends post this video on Facebook:

 
If you don't have the patience to watch it, it's a girl who says she's named Debbie and is supposedly obsessed with cats, to the point that they make her cry tears of joy.  Considering that the next video from that user is of the same girl, and she calls herself Cara, and her youtube username is Cara, I'm gonna have to go ahead and call this one a big, fat FAKE as well, though it seems that many people haven't gotten that memo yet.  Or maybe they still think it's funny, even though they know it's fake.  Whatever.


"Don't worry dear, it's not botox, I'm just injecting water!"
Remember the San Francisco Bay area mom who shot her child's face up with botox?  That story was actually reported on ABC News, and the mom later confessed to making up the whole thing, but not before California State child welfare agencies spent a lot of time and money trying to hunt her down.  The fact that this story was put out there by a reputable news source really angers me, because they should know better.  Considering the speed at which "news" moves today, I can understand why they want to move fast to get their story out there first, but COME ON, people!  She didn't even use her real name or home town! 

"I'm not a lesbian blogger, but my husband is!"
The internet has taken urban legends to a new level.  The old "I'll have to see it to believe it" litmus test no longer applies, since one fake photo or video can circulate around the world faster than you can say "bologna".  Entire blogs go on for months now before the author fesses up and tells the world that he is not, in fact, a Syrian lesbian living in Damascus, but just some dude from Georgia, USA, with a wife and an overabundance of facial hair.


How are we supposed to believe anything we see or read on the internet anymore?  Or, better yet, why are all these people such big, fat liars?  What ever happened to telling the truth and doing the right thing?  If I sound angry, it's because I am.  I'm tired of getting duped, especially by people who are laughing all the way to the bank because they've just made a quick buck off of my Youtube view.  It really pisses me off.


From now on, if something I see or read seems a bit fishy, I'm going to snopes.  If it hasn't gotten to snopes yet, I'm going to assume it's fake until proven otherwise.  Every day has become April Fool's Day, and I refuse to be fooled even once more.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go to my bank before it closes to fill out some paperwork.  It appears that I've won a foreign lottery, and I need to send off some information.  I'm so excited!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...