Sunday, May 8, 2011

Stupid church lady.

So, my Mother's Day started wonderfully with The Hubby bringing me breakfast in bed and a beautiful orchid. I got up, got ready, went to church, and things were swell. 


It was VERY hot in church, because the air conditioner was out, and my hair gets giant in humidity.  It just does.  In an effort to get my hair down to a normal height, I was raking my fingers through it.  After the first hymn, the (older) woman behind me tapped me on the shoulder and handed me her bulletin, with this note written in block letters around the announcements:



I AM SITTING DIRECTLY BEHIND YOU.  STOP BRUSHING YOUR HAIR IN MY FACE.  I WOULD LIKE TO ENJOY THE SERVICE.



Uh...


I felt as if I'd been sent to the principal's office.  Tears welled up in my eyes.  All of my effort was focused on NOT touching my hair...and not crying.  It was hard not to cry. 


By the time the offering rolled around, I got up the nerve to write a note back to her, but when I turned around, she was gone. 


I hate to say it, but this lady kind of messed with my Mother's Day.  I've thought and thought about it, and I'm about 99% certain that I could not have been throwing my hair in her face.  For one, the seats are not that close together, and for two, when I rake my fingers through my hair, I rake them forward, pulling any stray hairs that come out into my own hands. 


Also, WHO DOES THAT???  What kind of person passes a rude note to someone in church?  If I was bothering her that much, why didn't she just move?  Isn't that what a civilized person would have done? 


Anyway, that really upset me.  I know it's stupid.  I know I'm a weakling. 



Luckily, the day was salvaged with homemade grilled shrimp fajitas.  And I looked cute, because my dress had pockets, which is just about my favorite fashion trend ever, so that was also a win.  Oh, and The Kid gave me lots of Mother's Day hugs, which would cure about anything that ails ya. 


Also, I will never sit in front of grumpy old ladies in church, ever again.  Lesson learned.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...