Saturday, March 5, 2011

Scary Sports Fans

I am not a sports nut.  In fact, I don't really even like sports at all.  I'm one of those people who watches the Superbowl solely for the commercials.  Since we live in the Midwest, we are surrounded by NCAA rivalry, specifically that between KU (The University of Kansas) and MU (University of Missouri).

This sh*t gets scary, people.

Since The Hubby works at KU, you can call me biased if you like, but from what I've observed on my facebook feed, MU fans are MEAN, y'all!  I'm not saying there aren't exceptions to the rule--surely there must be some good sports sitting in the Mizzou bleachers.  However, it seems like every time I see a post from a Tiger about a KU/MU game, it usually mentions the word "hate".  Here's my interpretation, based on my FB news feed:

(Click on the image to enlarge)

I was going to watermark it, but I was afraid that I'd start getting hate comments if I included my blog address.

The Hubby relayed a story today that he'd heard at work about one time that KU played MU in Columbia.  One of the players had just had a family member die, and there was a group of students near their basket who, every time the player got near, would shout out mean comments about the dead family member.  Now, I'm sure this kind of thing isn't exclusive to MU, but why is it necessary at all?  Is good sportsmanship a thing of the past?

Don't get me wrong, a little rivalry is fun.  I like to egg on my brother in-law, a true gold MU fan, by filling his ice dispenser with KU cubes (those game-night giveaways yield hours of fun!).  I just don't see the point in being hateful over the thing.  I mean, it's just basketball (or football).  It's not like either of us played there.  Why so serious, Tiger?

I'm bracing myself for all the comments about how awful Jayhawk fans are, and I'm sure there must be some.  I just don't know any.  As soon as KU is out of the running for a title, The Hubby starts rooting for MU or K-State, and I know several other people who do the same thing.  Shouldn't that be the goal:  not just hometown pride, but Midwest pride?  Anyway, I think it's nice.

That's all I'm going to say about sports, probably forever.  I just spent all afternoon making that graphic, so I wanted to make sure and post it on my blog, so it didn't go to waste.  As you were.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...