Sunday, March 20, 2011

Laryngitis and a Contest


I woke up with laryngitis.  As you can see from my tweet above, I'm not exactly without fault for this illness.  I've been fighting a cold for...oh...eternity, now, and the cough really set in yesterday.  Thunderstorms and a lack of funds kept me restricted to the same 900 square feet all day long, and by 6:00 pm I had accomplished nothing other than earning a bunch of gold dinglepop medals on omgpop.com and watching The Kid create his own rainy day games (jewels such as stuffed animal bowling and dinosaur death match). 

When The Hubby came home from work, I decided that I needed to work on my abandoned screenplay, and he was kind enough to allow me to lock myself in our room with my laptop and a glass of wine.  What a great guy, huh?  I found myself on a roll, and by 2:00 am, I had gone from 14 pages to 51 pages. 

I'm halfway through, guys!  How exciting is that?  I'm so happy.  I never thought that this process would be so easy.  I mean, I know that I have editing and re-writes and all that ahead of me, but I've found myself surprised at how quickly the material flows out of my my brain, into my fingers, and onto the computer screen.  I always thought of a novel or a screenplay as something that takes years to finish, but now I realize that, much like a song, it can be done in a relatively short period of time if inspiration hits you just right.  Who knew?

As for the premise, well, it's based upon the time that The Hubby and I spent living in L.A.  It's intended to be a small film, a character-driven comedy/drama similar to, say, Sidewalks of New York or Pieces of April.  The whole thing is filled with autobiographical anecdotes, to the point where all the characters still share the names of the people I've based them on.  Oops.  I know I'll have to change that.


In fact, maybe you guys can help me out?  Since not many of you actually know our real names, what names would you assign to me and The Hubby?  Do I look like an Angela or a Heather?  Like a Tracy or a Tina?  I would love a little help here--name the Hubby too if you are so inclined!  Here are a couple of pictures of us from around that time:

click on the photos to enlarge

Name my mom too!  She's on the left in the Disneyland picture.

Oh, oh!  I have a good idea!  A GIVEAWAY!  I've never had a contest before on my blog, so this will be my first-ever.  If one of my readers comes up with names that I end up using in the screenplay, I will send that person a special prize...uh, to be determined at a later date.  It will be fabulous, so get excited, people!

I can't wait to hear all of your suggestions--thanks in advance!  Oh, and it should probably go without saying, but if you know me, please don't send in suggestions with our real names, or I won't publish the comments.  If any of you have good suggestions for a fabulous prize...I'd like to hear those too.  :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...