Saturday, January 15, 2011

I Need a Detective to Detect the Detector

Smoke detectors save lives, yes.  But I am not a fan of them right now. 

At about 6:00 this morning, The Hubby had already left for work and The Kid crawled into bed with me and was begging to get up and have some breakfast.  I managed to convinced him that it wasn't morning yet and we both began to snooze when...


CHIRP!

Smoke alarm.  Low battery indicator.  

Luckily, the smoke detector was easily accessible, on the desk in my bedroom.  I had changed the battery a month or so ago and I couldn't get it attached back onto our 8-foot ceiling, so I gave up and left it there.  Thanking my lucky stars that I didn't have to get on a ladder at 6:00 in the morning,  I walked over to the desk, removed the battery from the detector, and went back to cuddle with my (slightly annoyed) son.  How cozy we were!  Until...


CHIRP!

W.  T.  F?????  I felt like Phoebe in that episode of FriendsThis one.  The kid, fully awake now, sat up and said, "Where is that beeping coming from?"  I was confused, since it clearly seemed to be coming from the room in which we were trying so desperately to sleep.  Maybe (in my grogginess) I was wrong?  I got up and stood next to the other detectors in the house and waited.  And waited.  And waited.  Why do these things take so long to beep when you are waiting for them, but they seem to beep incessantly when you want them to stop?  And why do the dang things always seem to run out of batteries in the middle of the night?? 


CHIRP!


Nope, it was definitely coming from my room.  Well, what the heck???  This scene from Modern Family sums up my problem pretty succinctly:





So.  Freaking.  Frustrating.

At this point, I allow The Kid to get up since we're both wide awake, and he is doing a great job at helping me find the source of the chirping.  I stand him by one set of detectors, watching them, and I stand in my room and we wait patiently.  And wait.  And wait.  And wait. 

So, apparently these things only chirp for long enough to wake you up and get you out of bed, and then they stop entirely.  ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!

Thanks to Modern Family and its helpful life lessons though, I think I know where it's coming from:  the attic.  Unfortunately, I can't actually get to the attic to check it out, since going up there requires stacking a ladder on a chair on a coffee table and using some upper body strength which I don't possess--so I'll have to wait until The Hubby comes home from work to check it out.  Hopefully the detector can keep it's chirpy little mouth closed until then. 

In the meantime, I'm heading to Costco to buy an economy pack of batteries and putting fresh ones in every alarm I own.  Then, I'll be changing them all again once daylight savings time hits. 

Lesson learned.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...