Friday, November 5, 2010

Kind of a boring post...but there's a recipe!

It's been such a lovely day so far.  The weather is in the low 50s, but the sun is shining and the leaves look gorgeous.  My little heaters are keeping my house cozy, and I even cracked a window to let some fresh, crisp air in.  Did I mention I LOVE FALL?  Because I do.  Just wanted to make that clear.

Like this?  Buy it here from World Market.
I broke my French press the other day because, like a fool, I tried to use a very sharp steak knife to clean the old grounds out and poked a hole in the bottom.  So, today I headed out to World Market to use my "Save $10 on a purchase of $20 or more" coupon to buy a new one.  I found one for only $19, so I got to have myself a little $11 shopping spree!  I got a re-usable ceramic coffee cup--one of the ones that looks like a paper cup, but has a silicone lid and cup cozy.  It looks like the one to the right, but it's white with flowers on it, because I let the kid pick it out and he said that one was the prettiest.  It's sort of ugly, actually, but I like it because he likes it.

This is the same one he got.  Thank you www.candyblog.net!
Also, I got the kid a little espresso mug that he can drink hot chocolate from ("Or orange juice!  Or milk!  Or chocolate milk!  Or water!", as he says) and I also let him pick out some candy:  a giant gummy bear.  And by giant, I do mean GIANT.  It's almost a pound of gummy bear.  I liken it to one of those huge jawbreakers that takes a week to eat.  I never would have allowed him to get such a big piece of candy except that 1) I had to spend three more dollars to use the coupon, and 2) he's been really good lately, and super-cute.  Luckily, I opened it for him, he licked it a few times, took a bite, and said, "I am definitely done with this gummy bear."  I put it back in it's re-usable hard plastic shell for him to lick again later.  It's a project, really.

I stopped at Panera to fill up my new coffee cup and get a big loaf of sourdough bread to go with dinner tonight before heading home.  I will be making my spicy chorizo soup for dinner, and I'm really looking forward to, not only eating it, but cooking it.  Sometimes you just feel like chopping things up, you know?

Recipe, you ask?  Why, sure!  I posted it before, over a year ago, but since nobody was reading my blog back then, I don't think anyone saw it. 


 TB's Spicy Chorizo Soup Recipe



1 lb. spicy pork Chorizo (I generally just use one package, so it's not always exactly a pound)
1/2 lb. smoked bacon - chopped (I use turkey bacon to make it healthier)
1 qt. water
(2) 14.5 oz. cans (about 3 2/3 cups) chicken broth
3 lg. russet potatoes - scrubbed clean, cubed
3 garlic cloves - peeled, crushed
1 med. onion - peeled, chopped
3-4 cups chopped kale (One large bundle will do, you can sub swiss chard if needed, but I love kale)
1 cup half and half
salt and pepper - to taste



-In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown chorizo, breaking into small pieces as you fry it; drain, set aside.
-In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown bacon; drain, set aside.
-Place water, broth, potatoes, garlic, and onion in a pot; simmer over medium heat until potatoes are almost tender.
-Add chorizo and bacon to pot; simmer for 10 minutes.
-Add kale and half and half to pot; season with salt and pepper; heat through.

You can add more hot sauce, like Cholula, if it's not spicy enough for you. Serve with a really spongy bread for dipping!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...