Monday, November 8, 2010

Hello, my name is TB, and I'm a Facebook addict.

Today, I made a very drastic decision:  I quit Facebook.









Well, maybe.  I mean, I'm giving it a go.  It's really more of a trial-basis kind of thing.  But I really want to quit.  The first step in curing an addiction is to admit that you have a problem, right?


It's hard to explain how this came about, but basically it boils down to the fact that I spend way too much time using Facebook.  It's sort of taken over my life, and I don't like feeling tethered to it.  I realize that I could just cut back on the time I spend on the site, and that's still a possibility, but sometimes it feels good to make a clean break.  It's like getting a really drastic haircut or quitting a job:  I've felt this amazing sense of freedom all day long since I announced to my friends that I was taking a break.  I'm hoping that curing my Facebook obsession will result in me being more productive and a better mother to boot.


Basically, I'm just really tired of the whole thing.  There are so many more useful things I could be doing with my time, like cleaning my house, playing with the kid, teaching him things, doing laundry, blogging, exercising, socializing with people IN PERSON...just to name a handful.  Even though I do really enjoy interacting with people online by sharing news and opinions, I miss face-to-face interaction.  My social skills are starting to flail.



The only problem I'm having with quitting altogether is that Facebook is the ONLY way I keep in touch with a lot of people, and it's a great way to do it.  I received an email notification of a Facebook message today from a friend I've known since elementary school.  She was wondering how we would keep in touch if I left Facebook, concluding that we'd have to start emailing again, especially if we want to share pictures and stories about our children.  Well, I was going to message her back, but I didn't want to log in to Facebook and break my vow, so I couldn't do it.  I wanted to email her, but it turned out that I didn't have her email address saved in Outlook, so I wasn't sure of her address.  This is going to be much trickier than I thought.  SJE, if you are reading this, I'm sorry I didn't respond!  Email me through my blog up there on the right-hand side of the screen. 


Since I always check Facebook as soon as I turn on my computer, I had to move my shortcut so that I don't mindlessly click on it before realizing what I've done.  Every time I read an interesting news article, I have to hold myself back from clicking the "share" button and writing my thoughts about it on my Facebook wall.  I turned off my mobile notifications too, so I don't get any updates on my phone, which is helpful, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it.  I've been worrying that my friends didn't see my status update telling them that I'd be off the site, and that they're planning all sorts of fun nights out without me, not realizing that I'm not getting the messages anymore.  It's been a pretty challenging day, all-in-all. 


But, do you see how much Facebook affects my life?  It's kind of ridiculous.  I clearly needed this detox.  Hopefully I'll do all sorts of interesting things that I can blog about.  The goal is to last at least three days, maybe a week to start off, and I plan on updating here to let you guys know how it's going.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to have withdrawal dreams.  We shall see.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...