Friday, November 12, 2010

Day 5

One thing I've learned from going off Facebook is that I am the most active Facebooker of them all.  I have asked a few people if I've missed anything on Facebook the last five days, and more than one of them has said something along the lines of, "No, not really, because your posts took up most of my news feed!". 

How embarrassing. 

I mean, I knew I had a problem, but I didn't realize that I was monopolizing everyone's news feed like that.  Part of what I've come to hate about Facebook (now that I've had some time to reflect) is how ego-centric the whole thing is.  People post every detail of their lives, as if someone would really care about it, and since people comment on what they've posted, they get the illusion that their "friends" actually DO care, when in reality, the friends are just as bored as they are, but the validation that comes with their comment feeds into the machine that is Facebook, and the cycle continues.  That was a long sentence.  I hope it made sense.

The worst part of this whole realization is that I'm a perfect example of this whole scenario.  I posted more photos, status updates, links, and opinions than anyone I know!  Getting comments on those things made me feel somehow validated, made me think that I was somehow important and people cared about what I had to say or what I thought about certain things.  Maybe some of them do care, but I think most of them probably just thought I spent way too much time on Facebook.  Which I did. 

I suppose that some people could say that this blog is kind of the same thing--except that I'm not really forcing any of you to subscribe or visit my blog, whereas on Facebook, my posts automatically showed up on the news feed of my friends.  Therefore, I'll continue blogging, even though I still feel kind of self-centered about the whole thing.

I'm really annoyed that these FB Detox posts don't have any photos, so I will now leave you with a cute picture I took at the zoo, of a giant tortoise eating lunch.  Man, I love tortoises.

Click for maximum cuteness.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...