Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 3

Drawbacks (or not) to not using Facebook:

1.  I can't link my blog posts to my friends, so I have fewer blog page views.  Is this really a bad thing?  I'm not sure.  I've been thinking about it, and actually this situation represents a lot of what annoyed me about Facebook so much lately anyway:  it's all about vanity.   So what if nobody I know is reading what I write on my blog?  Why do I feel like I need people to read my mindless drivel?  I shouldn't need page views to validate my existence, just like I shouldn't need photo comments and wall posts.  Facebook is very ego-driven, why should I let my blog be?

I've never blogged for followers, otherwise I would be including more clever drawings or I'd, you know, actually be funny.  I blog because I enjoy writing and journaling, and while the interaction with readers is something that I do like, I would still write even if nobody was commenting.

Sometimes I fantasize about being B.O.N.'d (tee-hee!), and I think, is that something I'd really want?  Right now, I feel like I have a connection to my readers, and I've gotten to know some of you pretty well.  If I suddenly had 1000 followers, it would be pretty difficult to keep up with them all.  Also, the more followers you have, the more careful you have to be not to piss them off so that they'll un-follow you.  Because, let's face it, every lost follower hurts a little bit.


2.  I can't talk with the hubby about stories/videos he's seen on FB.  Because I haven't seen them.  This happened last night when he got home from work.  While I do still follow news throughout the day, I have been opening news sites much less than before, simply because my laptop is not open as often, and so I'm much slower to find things out than I was a few days ago.  It's like I'm a newspaper reader.  It's kind of embarrassing for me, since I pride myself on being one of the most well-informed people I know.

The upside to this is that I don't get in political arguments on Facebook in the comments under controversial news stories.  Also, is it really that important that I know a story first?  Let's take, for example, a popular news story from Monday evening. 

When it was first reported, everyone had their underwear all in a bunch over what appeared to be a missile being fired outside of Los Angeles that had been caught on tape by a local news crew.  Because of social networking increasing the speed of news through word-of-mouth (or status update), speculation flew and a little bit of panic ensued.  Today, however, experts are saying that the object was nothing more than a jumbo jet (which would explain why the FAA didn't see anything out of the ordinary on radar), and now we all feel pretty stupid for getting all excited over the story in the first place.  Except for a few conspiracy theorists...it does move awfully fast for an airplane, doesn't it?


3.  I'm worried that my friends are making plans without me!  I realize this is stupid, since I still get my messages sent to my email (and I've only received one since I quit, anyway), but still.  Nobody likes to feel left out!  Also, next time I see them, I'm afraid they're all going to have some inside-jokes I don't understand because now I'm not on Facebook. 


4.  There are a lot of people I talk to ONLY on Facebook, and now I have no way to talk to them anymore.  Many of these people live in different States or different countries than I do, so it's not like I ever see them in person.  Also, I don't have their phone numbers, and even if I did, I don't know what I would say to them in a phone conversation...which leads to the question:  are these people really my friends?  Or do I just have a ton of acquaintances who could really care less about me, as a person?  I've come to realize that banter is not the same thing as conversation.


5.  I can't play Bejeweled Blitz!  I really like bejeweled, but it was definitely contributing to my Facebook addiction and my ridiculous amount of time spent on the site.  So, I guess it's not really a drawback that I can't play it, but I do miss it.


6.  I'm finding myself spending more time on Twitter and other Blog sites.  Is this good?  Is it bad?  I am worried that what I have is not actually a Facebook addiction, but an internet addiction, and that sucks.   I don't want to be addicted to the internet!  I'm doing my best to limit myself, and I close the computer whenever I feel like it's getting out of hand again.  It's definitely a struggle.




The thing I've noticed most about making that list is how difficult it was to come up with things I miss about Facebook.  It's amazing how hard it is to make a case for needing it, after only three days of not logging on.  I'm realizing that, while I spent a lot of time on the site, it wasn't quite as important to me as I thought it was. 


I read something interesting yesterday while researching my addiction.  Someone said that (and I'm paraphrasing), "Facebook is interesting, because you can spend all day on it and feel like you're doing something, when you're actually doing nothing at all."  So true.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...