Monday, November 22, 2010

Christina Aguilera is SO nice!

I'm probably 85% healthy, so hooray!  Thank you, everyone, for the nice comments.  Being that it was just a cold, I felt a little guilty garnering such gratuitous amounts of sympathy, but I appreciated it nonetheless!


Taking a cue from Vanessa over at {the best is yet to be}, I am going to try and start posting more frequently, even if they are tiny little blog posts.  Since I'm not on Facebook as much anymore, I'm thinking that I'll start using this blog as a place to post opinions about news stories, kid quotes, and stuff like that--the kind of thing I used to do on Facebook.


That said, I've got very little to say today.  I realized today that we are dangerously low on funds for Christmas this year, especially when you factor in our vacation.  That means that we're in skimp-mode here in the B household, and so there will not be any dates or girls-night dinners or any of that sort of thing until after the holidays are over.  This makes me very sad since Burlesque (starring Christina Aguilera!) comes out on Wednesday, and I was really hoping for a date night with the hubby this weekend while the Mother-in-Law is in town, but oh well.  We're definitely not suffering, so I will just count our blessings rather than focus on the negative.


Did I ever tell you guys that I spoke to Christina Aguilera on the phone once?  That's probably one of the reasons I'm such a loyal fan--she called me when I was 15, almost 16, years old.

I had been a HUGE fan of the Mickey Mouse Club (MMC) my entire adolescence, ever since we started receiving the Disney Channel on our cable box.  My best friend Marlene and I would race home from school every day just in time to catch the end of Kids Incorporated and then we settled down to watch the MMC.  We watched every season from 1989-1994, starting with Fred and Mowava and ending with Tiffini and Chase on hosting duties.  To say that we were super-fans would have been an understatement.  We joined the fan club, learned the dance moves, dreamed about making it onto the show or, at the very least, to the audience in Orlando.  When I turned thirteen, my Grandma surprised us with a trip to Disneyland in California, and even though I was excited, I was secretly incredibly disappointed that she hadn't chosen Disney World, because that's where they filmed the MMC.


As everyone knows by now, Christina Aguilera made her debut on the MMC as a Mouseketeer during the final year of the show.  As something of a Mouseketeer expert, I was drawn to her right away.  The whole cast did a concert called MMC Rocks the House, I believe (how do I remember these things???), and Christina performed Whitney Houston's "I Have Nothing".  She was all of 13 years old, and her voice blew me away so much that I cried.  I immediately wrote her a fan letter, telling her how much I admired her and how her rendition of that song had touched me so deeply.  Being young and believing anything was possible, I wrote my address and phone number at the bottom of the letter before I sent it off, telling her to call me any time.


Holy cow!  Here's the video clip of that performance!  I LOVE the internet!!


Fast forward one year.  I was swimming in the pool at my dad's house on a hot summer day when my older sister called me in for a phone call.  I dried off, went inside, and picked up the phone and, lo and behold, it was Christina Aguilera!  My heart was beating out of my chest, my face was flushed, but I tried to sound at least semi-cool.  It was really difficult.


She said that she and Britney (Spears) were hanging out while the show was on hiatus, reading their fan mail, and they were calling the people who had put their phone numbers in the letters.  She asked if I wanted to talk to Britney.  I did talk to her briefly, because I didn't want to be rude, but I really just wanted to keep talking to Christina.  I'm not sure how long the conversation lasted, but it was probably somewhere between 5-10 minutes total, and I screamed like a Beatles fan when I finally hung up the phone.  It was, by far, the highlight of my adolescence.


It turned out that, even though they didn't know it at the time, the show had already run it's final episode.  Finding out that MMC was canceled just crushed me.  It had been such a huge part of my life, I didn't know what to do with myself when it was gone.  Of course I moved on and grew up eventually, as we all do, but it was a big deal to me at the time.


Wasn't she so sweet and innocent-looking?
Years later, in 1998 or 1999, when the movie Mulan came out, I saw Christina on a "making of" vignette featured on the Disney Channel.  I was thrilled beyond thrilled that she was back out there, making music again.  I looked her up on the internet (which was all dial-up back then), and discovered that she was coming out with her own album soon.  I emailed her at her fan mail address, and I got another reply...she said she remembered me!  Her exact words (I memorized them) were, "Of course I remember you!  We didn't call that many fans personally!  How are you??".  Then she went on to tell me about how excited she was for her album to come out and how I should always follow my dreams because anything is possible and all that other after-school special stuff.  She was so nice to me.  And even though I never talked/emailed with her again, I still love her to this day.  The end.


Hm.  I guess I did have something to say after all!  Funny how that happens.  :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...