Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Get me away from this adorable kid!!

These things really get in the way sometimes.
I am in serious need of a date night with the hubby.  I just realized that we haven't been out without the kid since my birthday on August 18th.  It's no wonder I feel like I'm going nuts lately!


Don't get me wrong, I love my kid more than a baby loves boob food.  I look at him and I see sparkly, magical moonbeams shooting from his ears, he's so special to me.  That said, I also thoroughly enjoy my time away from him.  There is something to be said for getting dressed up and not having to worry that you'll end up with sticky hand prints all over your dress.  Also, I know I'm not supposed to say it, but he just wears down my last nerve sometimes:  catering to the every want and whim of a toddler is freakin' exhausting, people! 


I've been out a few times in the past couple of months, but not with the hubby.  He's gone to see movies with his friends, and I've gone to movies and dinner with mine, but we haven't actually gotten a sitter and gone to a movie and dinner together, which is key to a healthy marriage.  You know how, in the movie Date Night, they have a standing date every Friday night, and the babysitter just automatically comes over?  They try to make it look like it's an obligation, but I would give my right eye for a chance at that.  Well, maybe not my eye, because that would make it considerably more difficult to see a movie, which would kind of counteract the whole point of giving up my eye--but I'd definitely give up a pinkie toe (but not a finger, because then I'd have to learn how to type without it and that would be a lot of work).


Anyway, I want a standing date night with the hubby.  Part of my problem is that the kid is very picky about babysitters.  He loves his neighbor, and she's babysat a couple of times, after which he was very clear about the fact that he didn't want her to babysit him again.  The reason seems to be that he doesn't want his "friend" telling him what to do, and I get that, but it's incredibly inconvenient that he feels this way since she is a wonderful girl and lives right next door. 


The only other two people we really allow to babysit him are my sister and my cousin, both of whom live about 30 minutes away from us, and both of whom have children of their own.  These two are great babysitters on the occasion that they keep the kid overnight, and he has a lot of fun at their houses, but I don't want to ask them too often for fear of him wearing out his welcome.  Also, they can't come to our house to watch him, since they're both very busy with their lives, which is completely understandable. 


Anyway, I don't know what the point of this post was.  I guess I just needed to vent.  I don't consider myself a "mommy blogger", but sometimes this stuff comes up when you have kids, and you just need someone to listen to you complain.  Also, I've had too much coffee, so my fingers moved very quickly in the making of this post and created it without too much effort on my part.  So...score!


Oh!  Last week, the lovely and talented Una LaMarche asked me to create a guest post on her blog for while she is out of the country.  First, I was incredibly flattered, then terrified that I couldn't think of anything, then I got over myself and wrote the dang thing.  I'll link to it when she posts it, so look for that in the coming week!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...