Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Twitter confuses me.

So, I finally broke down and started a Twitter account.  Seeing everyone's tweets on their blog sidebars made me feel left out, so I made it specifically for this blog, under the name year31.  If you also tweet, please use the handy-dandy link on the right there to follow me, because as of right now, I have only one follower, and I'm fairly certain they are just spam.


My plan is to use Twitter in the same way I use my status updates on Facebook, but probably with more quotes from the kid, since he says funny things all the time and I don't write them down as often as I'd like.  So far, I'm following bloggers and celebrities, and I feel like a complete moron.  I keep going back to the help section to try and figure out what the heck it is I'm doing, but there aren't enough answers!  If anyone can help me, here's what I don't understand:

  • If I want to mention someone in a post, can I just put the @ in front of their name and it will link them?  Or do I have to go to their profile and click on the "mention this person" link?  Will they see it?
  • What's the deal with hitting "reply"?  If I reply to someone, do they see it?
  • How come I had two direct messages emailed to me this morning, but they never showed up on my Twitter home page?  
  • If I want to talk to someone, what's the best way to do that?  Reply to something they've said, or just mention their name in a tweet?  Send them a message?  
  • What's the deal with tags that start with a #?
  • How the heck do you read Re-tweets?  I can't figure out what the original tweeter wrote and what the re-tweeter wrote.

Clearly, I need some help.  

In the spirit of my confusion, this is my current Twitter photo:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...