Friday, July 23, 2010

Let's talk about weight.

First of all, I'd like to say that my last blog post was my 100th, and that's kind of a big deal, but I wasted it on a stupid post-op update.  Damn!  Oh well.  Whatareyagonnado?

So, I've got some major medicine-head going on due to the hydrocodone making its way through my system.  I've switched to i.b. profin, but I still feel kind of drunk, so bear with me here.  Could be a bumpy blog ride.

What was I going to write about again?  Oh yeah, that's right:  weight.  Yesterday, in my medicated stupor, I was thinking about it.  You see, ever since my gallbladder went on the fritz, I've had trouble eating and so I've been losing weight.  Over the last month or so, I've lost about six pounds.  That may sound like a lot, but I'm 5'8 1/2", so six pounds on me isn't really all that noticeable...I lose and gain weight pretty uniformly, too, so it's not like all of a sudden I've got no butt.  It's just an all-over slim-down.

At first, when I was losing weight, I was thinking it was pretty awesome.  What a great side-effect!  I mean, who doesn't want to be skinnier?  Then, the more people told me that I looked really good, I started to realize:   I am sick.  That's kind of messed up.  I mean, I've never really been overweight or anything, but the fact that people equate losing weight with looking better, even on a person who is at a healthy weight, well...that's pretty whack.

To put this whole thing into perspective, let's use BMI--Body Mass Index.  Calculating one's BMI is generally considered a good way to determine whether weight loss (or gain) is necessary.  Before I began losing weight, I was at 146 pounds, so here is my BMI (taken from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services website):

And here's what I looked like at 146 pounds:
                  
Hm...21.9.  That landed me right in the middle of the the healthy "normal weight" category.  Not bad!


Now let's see where I am now, at 140 pounds:



Looking like this:

(Yeah, I realize it's a weird picture, but it's the most current full-length I have, ok?)

Well, it looks like I'm still considered healthy.  That's actually good!  Maybe I shouldn't be so upset at all those people for saying I look good sick.  I guess I do look pretty good...even if it's not on purpose.



This whole thing got me to thinking, though, what if I got even skinnier?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not intending to lose any more weight--I was just wondering, what the heck is up with celebrities?  I have read many an article about celebrity females my height or so who weigh between 110-120, 120 being on the heavy side.  In fact, if I were completely brainwashed by Hollywood, I would think that I needed to weigh about 125 at the most to look good.  I did a little Googling and found this webpage* with a bunch of celebrities' heights and weights.  Katie Holmes is, according to them, 5'8", 120 lb.  I find this alarming because I actually think that Katie Holmes looks good, and I'd consider her and I to have the same body-type, but look what happens when I plug that number into a BMI calculator:

Yep, she's underweight.  In fact, the vast majority of the celebrities listed on that page are underweight.  If I lost 10 pounds and got down to 130, I'm pretty sure people would be throwing cheeseburgers at me, but 120?  Are you KIDDING ME???  

Looking at all this information makes me so happy that I got out of L.A. when I did--that is certainly not a good environment for breeding healthy self-esteem.  Living around those skinny people is like being submerged in an entirely new species--like Gulliver landing on Lilliput.  Can you imagine trying to raise a daughter there, with all those people walking around who stay underweight for the sole reason that the camera adds ten pounds (and flat screen TVs add 20)?  It makes me sad.  

 And now I want a Sonic bacon cheeseburger.




*ETA:  I just realized that link with all the celebs' heights and weights is a pro-ana (pro-anorexia) website.  I will not be linking it now.  Sorry 'bout that.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...