Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Drawing the dots reeeeeal close together

The longer I've been married, the more I've come to realize that men are, indeed, different creatures than women.  They just hear things differently than we do.  Their brains work in strange and foreign ways--ways which, even after thirteen years of continuous research, I still have not begun to understand.  Take for example, the incident which happened just this evening, when the hubby was getting the kid ready for bed:

Hubby:  C'mon, buddy, let's get ready for bed.


Me:  Put him in shorts and a t-shirt please, since it's hot tonight.


Hubby:  OK.


He gets the kid dressed for bed and they come out to do some karate-style fighting before settling down for the night.  I glance over to witness the cuteness, and I see the kid, dressed in brand new khaki shorts and an orange Polo t-shirt.  

Me:  What is he WEARING?


Hubby:  You told me to put him in shorts and a t-shirt!


Me:  Uh, yeah.  PAJAMA shorts and a t-shirt!  He's, like, completely dressed for a new day!


Hubby:  Well, I thought it was weird, but I just did what you said.  You told me to put him in shorts and a t-shirt, so I went into his shorts drawer and his t-shirt drawer and picked something out.

Me:  (laughing and pulling out pajama shorts and a t-shirt from his top drawer) Why would you do that?


Hubby:  How am I supposed to know that there were special pajama shorts and shirts?


Me:  (blank stare)


Please keep in mind, my dear readers, that this is (1) not the first time the hubby has dressed the kid for bed and (2) not the first time the kid has worn shorts and a t-shirt to bed.

This kind of thing happens often in our house:  if I'm not very specific in what I'm saying, the hubby doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about.  Am I asking too much for him to connect the dots?  Do I need to stop taking for granted the notion that he knows what I'm not saying?  When I put it like that, it sounds like I'm being unreasonable and stubborn.  Damn.  I hate when that happens. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...