Thursday, June 17, 2010

Come on Jewel, light my fire...

I just got home from a Jewel concert.  The hubby surprised me with tickets a few weeks ago, and since this was my fourth time seeing her (the last time only about a year ago), I wasn't even all that excited to go, even though I've always been her #1 fan.  Actually, I was sort of not looking forward to it at all, since we just got back from vacation and then my mom was here--I kind of just wanted to stay home and watch TV.  I'm so glad I went.

The opening act was a guy by the name of Radney Foster.  The name rang a bell, but I wasn't quite sure why.  Throughout his entire set (with just him and a guitar), his voice rang out clear, singing songs that he'd written for himself and for some other artists, including Keith Urban.  It wasn't until he sang his last song, the 1993 hit "Nobody Wins" that I remembered who he was.  As soon as he started singing, tears began welling up in my eyes, and it was all I could do to not let them run down my cheeks and ruin my eye makeup.  That was my absolute favorite song back then, and I still remembered every single word.  Something about the words, the melody, got me "right there", you know?  Fourteen must have been an emotional year for me, because all kinds of feelings came rushing back, creating a pit in my stomach as I sang along shakily to the perfection that was Radney Foster performing at that moment.  If you don't know the song, here is the video (which I vividly remember) for the song:






Jewel was up next, and she did not disappoint.  Though she told several of the same stories I'd heard at past shows, her voice was as awe-inspiring as ever.  I haven't bought her new album yet, but from what I heard of it tonight, it's going to be one of my favorites.  Here's her first single:




As we left the building humming the songs we'd just heard, I was overcome with a sense of excitement, but also one of sadness.  I'm not sure how many of you know this about me, but before the kid was born, I was actively writing and singing my own songs, and was even met with a teensy bit of success.  Since the birth of my child, however, I haven't had the time or energy to devote to creating music, nor have I had the studio space to record any.  The funny thing is, I didn't really want to be famous--just successful at songwriting--but the thing that I longed for most while watching Jewel up on stage tonight was just to be singing into the microphone on stage.  I do love to sing. 

Anyway, going to this concert lit a fire under me.  Maybe I'll try harder to make music in my spare time.  At 30 years old, I may have missed my chance to break into the big time, but you're never to old to make music...or to sing.  :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...