Saturday, March 13, 2010

Don't hate me because I love Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart is alright by me. I know that, as a good liberal democrat, I'm supposed to hate it, but I just can't.

I took the kid grocery shopping yesterday and we went to Super Target, which is right by Super Wal-Mart, because I was trying my best to hate Wal-Mart. You know what happened? I was only able to get about 70% of the things on my list because Target didn't even
carry some of my necessities. Downy refill, in the environmentally-friendly cardboard carton? Nope. Glade air freshener, that's like Febreeze, but smells better? Nope. Whole-wheat egg noodles? No way, Jose. The list goes on.

After much frustration, I checked out and we headed next door to Super Wal-Mart to finish off my shopping. Not only did they have all the things I needed, but I also discovered that they had the things I already bought at Target, but at lower prices. I am done trying to force myself to hate Wal-Mart. I can't afford to take that stance.


I honestly don't understand why so many people who are anti-Wal-mart still stop at Target. Aren't they both big box stores? Don't they both pay pretty crappy? I just don't get it. These days, I see nearly as many Targets as I see Wal-Marts popping up, so they are both peppering the landscape with their unattractive facades and crowded parking lots. I do concede that, in many cases, Target stores seem to be better maintained than their Wal-Mart counterparts, but once that toilet paper and those socks leave the store, there's no telling where they came from. And I can buy more toilet paper and socks if I buy them at Wal-Mart.

That is all. I will get off my soap box now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...