Sunday, February 7, 2010

The curse of Superbowl Sunday

I don't know what my family did to the football Gods, but for some reason bad stuff seems to happen to us on Superbowl Sundays.

At first, the misfortune fell only upon my younger sister. As a child, she required stitches in her head on Superbowl Sunday every three years, like clockwork. Twice she ran into a coffee table, the third time it was some sort of poll sticking out of a truck that she ran into. Also, two days before Superbowl Sunday about 8 years back, her appendix burst. Yes, BURST. She was lucky and lived, but still...you can't help but wonder.

As the years passed, the curse faded and she seems to have pretty uneventful game days now, which is a blessing for her. Unfortunately for ME, I seem to have continued the tradition, having had tragedy strike two of the last five Superbowl Sundays. In 2005, my hubby's grandfather passed away on that day, and in 2006 I miscarried at nearly 12 weeks along in my pregnancy.

The good news is that my misfortune doesn't seem to be following a pattern. The bad news is that I can't shake this feeling that something horrible will happen today. Hopefully I am not making a self-fulfilling prophecy. We are projected to get 6-8 inches of snow tonight, so if that's the worst that happens, I'll be very happy!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...