Friday, February 5, 2010

California Dreamin'


I never thought I'd miss California, but today, with five inches of fresh snow outside and Sideways in my DVD player, I am missing it with a passion. Is it weird that the movie Sideways makes me miss California? It's a pretty f*cked up film, and the characters are terrible people, but the way it is shot makes it the quintessential California movie, at least in my eyes. The sun setting over row upon row of grape vines, the dusty filter the director seems to have shot through, the old red convertible they drive the whole film...makes you feel like you're really there. I freakin' love Alexander Payne.

In any case, I've got this horrible longing to be back in California. I moved there to be with the hubby (who of course wasn't my hubby at the time, but my long-distance boyfriend) in 1998. We lived in Sacramento, then Hollywood, then Santa Monica, then Sacramento again before making the move back out to the Midwest in 2004. There were a lot of good things about living in California, but by the time we left I was pretty fed up with it, to be honest. I hated the lack of seasons, the cost of living, and the traffic. Well, right now I'm kind of envying the no-Winter thing, but cost of living and traffic are still deal-breakers, so I'm sure this longing to be back there will go away shortly.

I took a short break from this blog, and in the time between then and now, the hubby got home, I cleaned the house, he took the kid out to make snowmen, and I made a delicious quiche for dinner! I guess it really would be a shame for the kid to move to a warmer climate--he seems to enjoy the snow so much. Indoor sock-snowball fights are only about half as fun as the real thing, and I can't wait until he gets older and can go out and play in the snow with his friends alone.

It's amazing--I feel like I got a lot done today, but I really only completed everything in the last few hours. Cooking and cleaning and that sort of thing aren't always on the top of my priority list, but when I do them, I feel very accomplished. I look at my friends who keep an immaculate house and have a complete dinner on the table every night, and I feel like a giant loser. What is wrong with me that I can't be a "good wife"? I do concede that I am an excellent mother, as the kid gets more love and attention than most any other kid I've ever known. Also, the hubby doesn't seem overly bothered by the fact that I am not the world's best housekeeper, so that's very pleasant of him. Maybe my priorities are just different than the other moms I know? Who knows.

I will leave you now with my delicious quiche recipe. Enjoy!


TB's Delicious Cream Cheese Quiche


One 9-inch deep dish pie shell
1/2 small onion, chopped
Sliced tomato, very thin
½ package of cream cheese
Any kind of grated cheese you like
6 large eggs
1/2 cup milk or half & half
Bacon - enough to cover the bottom in a single layer.


Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut up the bacon into small pieces and cook until brown over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté along with the bacon until transparent, then drain on a paper towel.


Spread the cream cheese over the bottom of the pie crust with a spatula until it’s covered. Sprinkle the meat and onion evenly over the crust. Grate your cheese over top of that, however much you like. I like to use white cheese, like muenster or jack, or any kind of fancy cheese, but use whatever floats your boat.


Mix together the milk and eggs, a pinch of nutmeg, and a little salt and pepper. Pour mixture over top of meat and cheese. Grate more cheese over the top, and cover with very thin tomato slices. Cover the edges of the pie crust with foil that’s been sprayed with cooking spray so that the edges don’t burn, then place it on a cookie sheet in the oven.


Bake for 15 minutes, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees, and bake for another 30 minutes.



Serves: 6
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...