Saturday, December 26, 2009

The holiday season is almost over....

So, rather than go on and on about how guilty I feel (which I do) about abandoning my blog for so long, I will say a short "I'm sorry" and get started on getting you all up to speed on the happenings of my life lately.

Eileen got her kidney! She took part in the world's largest kidney exchange and her husband donated his in return for hers. So far, they are doing well and she seems to be on the road to a full recovery. Needless to say, I did not have to lose any of my organs for this to happen, which I have mixed feelings on. I suppose I should just be thankful, but I was actually sort of looking forward to helping her out in such a profound way. Oh well.

We have decided to take our house off the market, again. The amount of showings in our area, including our home, has been just pitiful, so the likelihood of selling it right now is very poor. The hubby has decided that the commute isn't all that bad, but the bad news is that now we have to figure out a vehicle situation, because the 1983 BMW will not be a great commuter car for long if we drive it into the ground like that. I'm excited to be staying in our home, but I'm very sad that we won't be getting more storage or a better yard for the kid in the foreseeable future. As I always say, at least we have an affordable home to live in!

Last weekend, we drove to Omaha for the wedding of two dear friends of ours. Although hectic, we had a wonderful time. I was asked to sing in the wedding, and I felt very honored to have obliged. I sang a duet of "Come What May" with an amazing baritone (and consequently an amazing person) named Brian.
The bride also asked me to sing a solo version of "Forever" by the Beach Boys. I was incredibly nervous for weeks before-hand, but the songs were performed without any major mistakes, and I got a lot of very nice compliments after the ceremony. The bride was possibly the most beautiful I've ever seen, with a gorgeous train-length veil and impeccable hair and makeup (not that it would have mattered--she's a knockout anyway).

The best part of the whole wedding weekend was relaxing after the ceremony was over and heading out to the reception. The kid surprised us all with his dancing skills, burning up the dance floor whether he had a partner or not. I've never seen him enjoy himself that much, and the joy and excitement he felt was contagious--it really seemed to spread throughout the entire party. I can't remember a night where I smiled so much. Just a perfect event.

Other than those three items, our lives have just been busy with the normal holiday madness that happens every year around this time. Thanksgiving was spent with my sister, then Christmas celebrations were had early with my side of the family. We were lucky enough to be able to stay home for Christmas this year, which has been really lovely. I made Christmas Dinner of baked glazed ham, homemade mac n cheese, sweet potatoes, and rolls on the Eve, which we all thoroughly enjoyed (and will continue to enjoy for the next week). We have been under a blizzard warning for the past couple of days, beginning on Christmas Eve, and woke up on Christmas morning to a winter wonderland outside!

The kid had a wonderful Christmas, as Santa brought him exactly the toy he asked for when they met at the mall, and his stocking was stuffed to the brim with treats. He must have been a really good boy this year, is all I can say! He has been enjoying his new toys, barely wanting to nap or eat for fear of missing out on playing with them. If the hubby or I take a break from playing, he always says, "Don't you wanna play with me?" Gets us every time, darn it!

Spending Christmas at home meant relaxing more than we normally give ourselves time for, which we have all appreciated so much. I got to take a nap in the middle of the day yesterday! That was the BEST.

After we were all rested up and ready to go, we made the trek over to the home of some friends who invited us for Christmas dinner. Now, maybe this wasn't the smartest thing in the world to have done, considering the blizzard and all, but we were really looking forward to it, so we went anyway.

I'm glad we went! Dinner was tasty, the company was wonderful, and the kid got to spend some quality time with other children. All-in-all, our Christmas was perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...