Wednesday, September 9, 2009

So busy, so busy...

It's been a while since I've written but, as you can see by this blog title, I have been very busy.

The kid and I went out of town last Thursday to Monday while the hubby stayed home and worked. He had opening weekend (he works for KU athletics) and so he wasn't home at all anyway, which allotted a good opportunity for me to go out and see some family.

On Friday, I went with my brother in-law to Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis to get some testing done for his wife, Eileen. She is suffering from kidney failure and needs a transplant. The first round of testing revealed that I am not a match for her, but I am hoping to participate in the paired kidney exchange, where they put me on a national list and I can donate to someone who has another donor for Eileen. Like on that one episode of Grey's Anatomy, where they had like 10 pairs? Like that. Anyhoo, the testing was a breeze: 8 tubes of blood, a cup or urine, a chest x-ray and an EKG. I was incredibly impressed with the speediness of it all! I was seriously in and out of there in 45 minutes, tops. Very well-oiled machine they have running over there at Barnes-Jewish!

On Saturday, I had to take the kid to the emergency room because we thought he broke his wrist. It was such a fluke: he was just crawling around on the floor (which he is, admittedly, out of practice doing since he has been walking for over a year now), and next thing you know, he's face down, screaming his head off. Poor li'l guy. Usually, when he gets injured, he just cries for a good thirty seconds then stops and says, "I fine", while wiping away his tears. This time he would NOT stop crying. He even let me put ice on his wrist, which was a good indicator something was seriously wrong, since he never lets me put ice on him.

I gave him some Tylenol and buckled him in his seat while my step mom drove us to the closest ER, about 40 miles away. Sometimes, living in the middle of nowhere can be a real pain in the ass. Makes me glad I live in a city!

Anyway, the kid was a real trooper, only crying when someone touched his ailing arm, and making polite conversation ("Monsters Inc a good movie."). After a round of x-rays, it was determined to be only a bad sprain--not a break, thank God. The nurse wrapped his arm up in an Ace bandage as he sipped on a Sprite and ate cookies that my step mom got for him to make him feel better.

On Sunday, I was fortunate enough to meet up with my friend Lynette, who was in town for a wedding over the long weekend. She was meeting her family at the zoo, and she graciously asked me and the kid to tag along. He was getting around very well with the one hand, so we jumped in the car and headed to the zoo. Seeing Lynette and her husband was so great! I miss her so much. She just found out that she is expecting her first baby, so it's a very exciting time for both of them. The zoo was fun, but hot, and we didn't get to stay and visit near long enough, but I was very thankful for the time we did have together.

So, the trip to my dad's house was eventful. In between outings, my dad kept trying to engage me in political conversation, which I tried my best to avoid. The only news channel he watches is Fox, and he's pretty much worried himself into a frenzy over all the doom and gloom he hears day in and day out, thinking that our country is going to become Communist or something. It makes me really sad to think that he believes all that crap, but he does it to himself by immersing himself in that sort of rhetoric day in and day out, so I can't feel too bad for him.

When we got back on Monday, the hubby's dad was here visiting, and he left yesterday. This Friday, we are leaving AGAIN to go visit my family and Eileen's family, because the hubby has a three-day-weekend and we want to take full advantage of it. I am really not looking forward to the three-hour drive there and the three-hour drive back, but I guess it will be worth it to spend some time with the hubby. His hours have been so ridiculous lately that I am coming to the end of my rope. I don't feel like I know him very well anymore, and parenting by myself is definitely taking a toll on my nerves! Let's just hope it gets better soon...everyone says it will, so I'll trust that.

This weekend we are going to sell our house. I can feel it. Our Realtor is doing an open house while we're gone on Sunday, and I'm sure someone will come in and write up a contract on the spot. This is me being positive. Positive, positive, positive! I got all the repairs done, all that's needed for it to be perfect now is an exterior paint job, which we will be hiring someone to do in the next couple of weeks.

On the agenda today is the bank, Sam's Club, and Wal-Mart, in that order, then cleaning and making dinner. Do you think that housewives in the 50's were able to get so much more work done because they didn't have the internet to distract them? I'm guessing that's the case. Either that, or it wasn't as lovely and perfect as everyone made it out to be. Probably the latter, actually.

Well, better get going. So much to do, so little time...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...