Sunday, August 23, 2009

Woohoo! I got a parking ticket!


That sounds silly, but this was a very exciting parking ticket. Let me explain:

My friend Kim was in town for my birthday party and we went to Lawrence to do some shopping and walking around in the unseasonably cool August weather. It was one of those days when I was truly thankful to live in the Midwest--the sky was bright blue, the clouds were white and billowy, and the air was fresh, with a high of 75 degrees. Ah, so beautiful!

We headed down to Massachusetts Street and found a meter. As I attempted to transfer the kid from the car seat to the stroller without waking him up, Kim plopped two hours worth of my quarters into the meter.

Well, the kid did wake up, resulting in a little bit of a meltdown, but he did his best for running on such little sleep. We all started out and did a little shopping in the antiques mall and the British Goods store before ending up at The Toy Store. Oh, The Toy Store! SUCH a great store. My kid could play in that store for hours without getting bored, and nobody ever yells at him for being too loud or rambunctious. VERY good store.

Creeping up on an hour in The Toy Store and no bathroom break for the kid (potty training derailed...ugh), Kim gently reminded me that our meter was likely about to expire. After a minor meltdown, we all left the store and hauled-ass to the meter, a few blocks away.

Upon arriving at our meter, we immediately checked to see if it was expired and, luckily it had five minutes left! Unluckily, my car had a ticket on it. So...turns out we fed the wrong meter. In Kim's defense, it was a little confusing! There were two meters there, each with an arrow pointing at the car it belonged to, and she just sort of misread the arrows.

I was a little upset, but was cutting my losses when I opened the envelope to read the ticket. "Are you FREAKIN' KIDDING ME???" I shouted out while Kim braced herself for the worst and begged me to let her pay the ticket. I could not believe my eyes. Take a look for yourself:






I had to read it a couple times to make sure I was reading it right, but it was not a mistake: my ticket was for TWO DOLLARS. TWO DOLLARS??? How the heck does Lawrence even afford to pay their parking enforcement officers? If I pay it late, I have to add $8 more, bringing the total of my fine to a whopping $10. I have never been so happy to get a parking ticket! Well...I have never been happy at all to get a ticket, to be honest, but for some odd reason, this one left me with a feeling of euphoria.

Lawrence stole my heart that day. On top of the town being beautiful, liberal, and fun, it's proven itself to be highly rational and affordable as well. Who could ask for more?




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...