Sunday, August 30, 2009

The perfect day

So, the hubby has been working crazy hours. He leaves in the morning and comes back at night, working 60 or more hours a week. This sucks the big one. Nobody signs up for this sort of thing, and I'm actually kind of sad that we've adjusted to it, but we have and we are making the most of the time we have together as a family.

Last night, he got home around 6:00, and we immediately left to go out to dinner and a movie, on a family date night. We had the best time! Who'd have thought that Panera and a movie at the dollar theater could have brought so much joy to everyone? We saw Up, and the kid stayed glued to the screen the whole time, except for during the climax of the film, where he announced he needed to go pee, so I took him to the bathroom (he was dry! Woohoo!).

This morning, we woke up, packed a lunch, and headed off to the zoo with some friends. Another perfect day! The weather has been unseasonably cool for a Kansas August, and the high today was only 72. I can't remember ever enjoying a day so fully, and I say that with all honesty. Walking around the zoo is SO much better when it's not 100 degrees!

The kid did really well today, too--excited at every animal, naming the ones he could pronounce, and even stopping for a bathroom break. He ate pretzels in his stroller and chased us down the hills with sticks. Everything really was perfect.

The kid zonked out in the car on the way home, and the plan is for the hubby and I to join him in his siesta as soon as I'm done with this blog. I threw in some delicious country style pork ribs for dinner, which will slow cook until I'm ready to make the mashed potatoes and green beans to go along with them. We have the windows open and the candles lit, and I don't think I could be any more happy than if Publisher's Clearing House showed up with a giant colorful check.

As a gift to you, my readers, in celebration of my perfect day, here is my delicious rib recipe:

TB's delicious country-style pork ribs!

Buy some boneless country-style pork ribs. That's what they're called here, but there is a slight chance they are called something else in your neck of the woods. They are basically just really big strips of meat, with little or no bones in them.

Pre-heat the oven to 275.

Take the ribs and pour liquid smoke over them, and then sprinkle them with this rub:

brown sugar
Lawry's seasoned salt
onion powder
garlic powder
pepper

I don't know how much of each I put on, I just sprinkle them as I go, from the bottles or with a spoon. Rub that all in, then repeat on the other side of the ribs, making sure to cover the whole piece of meat.

Take the meat and put it on a slotted broiler pan, with maybe an inch of water in the pan below. Cover tightly with tin foil and bake the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. You'll know they're done if you stick a fork into the meat and it falls apart.

Next, take them out and brush them with a good bbq sauce. I like to use Jack Daniel's original 7 bbq sauce, but use whatever you like. You can put them back in the oven to heat the sauce, but I usually just leave them and let them cool as they are.

Bon Appetit!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...